Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Kickdown isn't really the best way to overtake regardless. You're making the engine immediately go into a high load at low RPM before the trans downshifts. This isn't great for engines in general, especially turbo engines.

Best thing is to use the paddles to downshift first. Better to downshift before accelerating hard rather than after. Just takes a little more discipline than using the kickdown but it doesn't cost you any time really.

Although in an M4 you hardly need to kickdown. I find even in D2 mode (and engine in sport), just gradually pressing down the accelerator makes the car downshift very effectively.
I drive in manual mode the vast majority of the time. I usually select the optimal gear before I need to engage maximum acceleration just as I would on a manual car. I therefore seldom use the kickdown feature.

But I do believe folks over compexify what is going on mechanically and electronically during kickdown. I see it rather simple:
  1. Driver commands kickdown
  2. DCT open both clutches while WOT command is sent to engine
  3. The ECU engages optimal gear based on road speed from a pre-determined table
  4. DCT engages appropriate clutch when engine and wheel rpm match

I don't see how tis can be that damaging...
It takes a very short time to drop the car into gear but during that time you are essentially lugging the engine at high load, while with a regular manual you have to first select and then go.
Appreciate 0