01-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #215
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
you are on point. FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME! We are going back to the same sausage different length nonsense. To make a long story short, our cars are losing their identities of being a 3 series or a 5 series or a 6 series individually, they are all just clearly bmw's. Enthusiasts are unable to identify the different BMW vehicles at night from the front and/or back of the cars so how the hell can anyone tell? We are in big trouble and im not standing behind any of the new BMW's with blind loyalty and that KILLS me because I want to. It used to be like that and no matter what I will always buy/drive a BMW but damn, between 2000 and 2010 I would be proud of every BMW on the road no matter what small flaws it had. BRING BANGLE BACK FFS!
KIE! You probably don't remember me since I've gone through a million avatar, name, and sig changes, but I'm glad to see you and your opinions haven't changed. I was just posting the same thought on my comparison thread over in gen-auto:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
"Lexus is putting some really nice stuff out these days"
"Polarizing design"
"Love it"

Are u all looking at the same mish-mosh of lines & disgusting grill to go with a dated/crap interior? Lexus design team should be led out back and shot.
Opinions/assholes bla bla bla.

Ugly is ugly
Well, at least you followed through with your set up of quotes there. You would clearly damn this thing straight to hell, where others, such as myself, love it. Textbook polarizing discussion. Oh how I miss the days not too long ago when BMWs were at the heart of discussion like this.

What do we have to look forward to now when a new BMW model is released? "Yeah, it looks good." "Eh, nothing to dislike, but it looks like every other one." "That frivolous trivial detail around the [grille, fender, headlights, etc.] puts me off; I'd change it this way and then it'd be perfect" - and that's about the extent of any discussion these days. As someone that loves to talk about car design non-stop, I welcome any polar design that features something new, something clever, or something that makes you go "this shouldn't work, but it does. And here's why I see that".

What you see as a "mish-mosh of lines", I see as a series of well calculated scallops, creases and edges; all implying power and emphasizing width and street presence. It's possible to call it over-styled, maybe. I think that it looks upscale and brilliant when you start to piece it together. Pieces relate, corners are positioned to compliment each other, and lines add or subtract depth in the right spots to give it a purposeful visual strength. And the "disgusting grill"? I think it's brash and daring, yet well shaped and sculpted all the way down to the minute shaping of its surrounding trim and interlacing mesh. They could have messed this one up easily, but I think they pulled it off immensely well. This will provide the RC-F an unrivaled level of DRG presence on the road. The interior? Based on overall layout and design from a few photos, it's hard to tell. It's certainly better than the outgoing IS-F's without a doubt, but that would be necessary for it to be competitive nowadays. If the materials are anything like what the latest Lexus products have been using then I think we're in for a surprise treat.

I can't wait to find out for myself. And I'm really excited for the inevitable shootout with the new round of sports coupe contenders. There's no denying that this will give the M4 a run for its money. I'm really curious as to what MB will do with that secret weapon of a C-Class they've got brewing. We hardly have any information about the AMG monster, but I hope they keep the insanity on par with the course.
Appreciate 1