05-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #300
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I strongly suspect that, with this particular car, burning through a tank in high gear at legal and quasi-legal speeds will net you better than the advertised highway number. In any case with the ~16 gallon tank we are talking about a minimum range of 400 miles in this scenario which is already doing much better than the E9x's low 300's that most could achieve as a best case. And it would not surprise me at all to eventually see reports of 450 miles or perhaps even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I agree, it's always been like that. Our Cayenne for example with it's 3.6 l NA engine, AWD drivetrain and relative to cars poor aero gets close to 30 mpg on cruise control at 70 mph while rated at 23 mpg. My E90 M3 gets 25 mpg while rated at 20 mpg. I think the F8X will easily cruise at 30 mpg on the hwy. The DCT however does not "sail" like modern torque converters, it's fully engaged all the time which saps gas compared to say an ZF 8 speed 335i otherwise I would think 35 mpg would be possible at hwy for the F8X on cruise control.

However when you drive the car you can't expect it to be responsive and generate big power at any rpm without burning some more fuel. Absolutely no surprise here. Just as expected.
I am thinking about the same thing. With so much low end torque, one should be able to short shift at 3K RPM from 1st to 7th (or 6th with MT) and quickly get to highway cruising speed without much effort from the engine.