10-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
No doubt the Performante is a better car in every measurable and subjective way, but the extent to which the GTS continues to be misinterpreted and misapplied truly boggles my mind. Maybe the dilution of the M brand, BMW marketing is to blame. People just don't (didn't) take them at their word about this car:

Whilst the BMW M4 Coupe represents the perfect combination of racing genes and ultimate everyday practicality, the new BMW M4 GTS is a highly emotive and exclusive special edition model that leads the way in terms of technology and was conceived for use on the race track. Despite featuring exceptional race track qualities permission to drive the vehicle on public roads is unaffected. - Frank van Meel, BMW M GmbH

So you have permission to drive it on the street. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of public road enjoyment and usability.

In certain settings, e.g. Sport Plus throttle, lowered + race track damper settings, and standard (potholed) road use, it's not enjoyable. That's because you are -- EXACTLY as you report -- making the car do something it doesn't want to do. It does feel like work. If you were driving a GT race car stoplight to stoplight over rough roads, the experience would be much the same. I've been on stretches of Michigan highway in full track mode, and counted down the seconds until the pain stopped.

That said, you can make the car behave significantly better over rough roads, if you want to put in the adjustment work. (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537875) Most don't want to do that. This car definitely isn't for most.

The bucking and lurching that you describe is characteristic of Sport Plus throttle setting in 1st gear. For (city) street use I never use that throttle setting. However, as I've reported elsewhere, mid-corner, corner exit on track in 3rd and Sport Plus is ideal imo, works to counteract lag, and facilitates precise speed adjustments. It's very much, no surprise, similar to the "on/off" throttle characteristic of many race cars.

To honestly evaluate this car, you'd have to try it on track, with proper settings (manually) dialed in. That's where it works. Maybe some think that's stupid, and any street legal M car should work reasonably well everywhere -- I can appreciate that perspective. Others will try the car on track when it's dialed in and prefer a 997 or 991 GT3 -- sure, I can also appreciate that. For the vast majority, the GTS is no doubt more trouble than it's worth. Race cars are too.

This will probably be a polarizing, unpopular, quasi-elitist opinion, but to really appreciate the full skillset of the GTS, you absolutely need to be an experienced HPDE participant. Years and dozens of events in, comfortable with stability and traction systems fully off, dedicated enough to make damper adjustments, and essentially capable of driving up to the car's immense limitations. If this doesn't describe you, then I'm not sure why you'd buy the closest approximation to a BMW race car to ever hit the U.S. market. It's not pretend M marketing, that's actually what this car is.
Well, though I never disputed any of that in the first place, the problem with this logic is that other cars clean its clock on a race track, and either do it for less money, or are enjoyable on the street as well as the track. Any car so singular in purpose should excel more at doing so, imo.

Also, definitely did not have the car in Sport Plus setting.

Aside from that, thank you for your input, and I mean that sincerely.
Appreciate 0