10-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
But can you actually speak to how much the car excels on track, when properly setup, with an experienced driver?

Is your track evaluation/projection based upon magazine lap times? Motor Trend math?

Actual track use issues: Lack of front camber adjustability was a definite engineering blunder, and we needed the recaro buckets. Too fast for comp pack seats.

In terms of it not being enjoyable on the street –

Remember that the starting platform is an everyday, practical performance coupe/sedan, not a Huracan. Street comfort when set to race specification is a necessary compromise. You seem to be dismissing what I said though, which is that the car can be adjusted for reasonably comfortable and/or fun street use, just not at the touch of a button. With 3 way coilovers, carbon ceramics, cup 2’s, aero, 500 bhp, rwd, etc. you doubt that it could be setup for fun on a winding back road or mountain pass??

That’s one of many things I don’t get about the perspective on this car. It’s got every proven BMW performance enhancement trick in the book dating back to the E36 platform, yet people imagine it alone, specifically and mysteriously, sucks

If you can’t accelerate through 1st without bucking and lurching, and the throttle setting is relaxed, then there’s something wrong with the gearbox.

You’re entitled to your negative opinion about the car. Not coincidentally though, you’re not the only one who has formed a negative opinion based on use well outside of its intended environment.

I'm not sure I can recall anyone independent testing that showed this car 1) performed notably better (and in some cases, was slower) than other tracked-geared/capable cars costing considerably less 2) performed as well as other cars costing similar money and 3) where the reviewers themselves had very good things to say about its driving dynamics and performance.

Could that all be wrong? Doubtful. Is that to say the car is terrible? No. As always, I'm sure the truth lies in between. I was simply pointing out MY experience with the car, and in comparison to a few others. I have admittedly not driven the car on a track. I'm sure when it's set up properly, it's a great on track.
Appreciate 0