10-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I'm not sure I can recall anyone independent testing that showed this car 1) performed notably better (and in some cases, was slower) than other tracked-geared/capable cars costing considerably less 2) performed as well as other cars costing similar money and 3) where the reviewers themselves had very good things to say about its driving dynamics and performance.

Could that all be wrong? Doubtful. Is that to say the car is terrible? No. As always, I'm sure the truth lies in between. I was simply pointing out MY experience with the car, and in comparison to a few others. I have admittedly not driven the car on a track. I'm sure when it's set up properly, it's a great on track.
Actually, I know of only one comparison test in which the GTS was definitely setup for the track, and reasonably scientific testing conditions were observed. (Why that matters -- insight on typical mag lap time testing protocol from a pro driver near the base of this article: https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/9/)

That test was Sport Auto vs the 991 GT3. GTS fared well. Translation via a forum member and a snapshot of the lap data below.

Not coincidentally, Sport Auto also lapped the GTS within 9 seconds of the BMW ‘ring time in far less ideal conditions –

I can still remember well the 24th September 2015. At that time I ceded our round-the-clock window on the Nordschleife to BMW. At outside temperatures of 13 degrees, BMW test driver Jörg Weidinger then burned the magnificent record time of 7.28 min into the asphalt. Respect, Jörg, great achievement! At the Supertest round in 7.37 min, the conditions at 30 degrees were anything but ideal. The thermal load was noted to the biturbo, although the water injection gave it all. After two round rounds, the five-tank water tank was almost empty at these temperatures.

Just giving you some alternative, arguably more legit and meaningful data points and journalist feedback. Your perspective is your perspective. Jump at the chance to try it properly setup on track or on a back road sometime though. Might change your mind.

-----------------------------------------

M4 GTS: what traction!
Enough of the GT3, now his challenger climbs into the ring. The six-cylinder in-line booster is darkened by the exhaust system with a new titanium silencer and the four 80-millimeter-sized tailpipes. When boosted under full load, the exhaust system sounds a bit tinny, but it sounds much better at all times than the somewhat artificial sounding counterpart in the basic M4. The three-horsepower equipped with an additional water injection in the M4 GTS now provides 69 hp more and comes at a rated output of 500 hp. Turbocharger For the direct comparison in terms of gas intake, the M4 of course with the suction engine GT3 is greedy, no, almost snappy

Spontaneously reacting to accelerator pedal movements, but the GTS throttle can be seen especially in the sport plus mode. The throttle can be adjusted by means of a switch on the M4 center console.

After the first fast laps is immediately clear: It could have quietly also 600 PS may be. Do not misunderstand, the M4 GTS is definitely not under-powered, and its rudder goes bearable, but the grandiose chassis tuning would even more powerfully put away. The GTS carries a specially tuned three-way helical gear system in which both the tension and compression stages can be mechanically adjusted. In addition, the bar and support bearings have been modified.

In a direct comparison, the steering behavior of the 911 GT3 is even more greedy, but also for the M4 GTS is under control a foreign word. He uses directional commands even more consistently than the M4 basic model. The feedback of the steering in the GTS is not quite as sharp as in the GT3. The steering angle requirement in the BMW is slightly larger. The holding forces are pleasantly tight in the "Sport" or "Sport Plus" characteristics. All in all, BMW steering is one of the direct examples of its electromechanical guild.

The GT3 rear axle is clearly sharper than the M4 GTS. Or else: The M4 remains neutral for a long time and is almost immune to changes in load changes. With a fantastic traction, the hardcore BMW animatedly accelerates from curve to curve. The rear is pressed only in the absolute limit range. The overloading of performance does not announce itself in the manner of a surprise, but in a good-natured manner.

The phenomenal grip level and the high mechanical grip not only contribute to the successful tuning of the chassis, but also to the first-ever use of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 sports tires. Important: The tuning of the ABS control system of the carbon-ceramic brake system, which is standard in the GTS and is slightly modified for the over-M4, is also perfectly suited to the cup ripening. Whether on ground waves in the braking zones or when braking into the curve, the GTS brake convinces at any time with very good dosing capability and a strong deceleration.

The fact that the M4 GTS has not only improved mechanical grip, but also improved its aerodynamics, thanks to the telescopic splitter and the triple-adjustable tail wing, is shown in Hockenheim, especially in the transverse section. At 187 km / h he moves in the fast linksknick at the super sports car level.

911 GT3 pilots should not underestimate the wing M4 when it appears in their rear-view mirror. With a lap time of 1.09.6 minutes, the GTS is not only the fastest BMW series of all time on the small circuit in Hockenheim, but also underbids the basic M4 by about three seconds.

If the Porsche PDK excelled, as in today's test, an incomplete day with a bit too much starting slip, then 911 GT3 and M4 GTS are equal in speed. No, it is not a pressure error that both counterparties have exactly the same acceleration values up to 200 km / h. With the standard brake measurement from 100 km / h the GT3 in 33.3 meters stands only 70 centimeters earlier than the M4 GTS. In the slalom, BMW and Porsche are just 0.5 km / h, in favor of the 911 GT3.

Even if the Porsche has its nose in the target just before the new hero from Munich has, today more than ever the following conclusion: Rarely a BMW was as much sports car as the M4 GTS - over a real M1 successor, we would nevertheless be very happy. ◾

MY OPINION

Did you notice something? I have not mentioned the BMW M3 CSL so far. A good sign. Until now, it has always been complained that the CSL does not have a legitimate successor. His direct successor M3 GTS (E92) could never really convince. This time is now definitely over. The CSL remains sure of its hero status forever with its emotional slave engine, but the M4 GTS leaves the CSL clear with its outstanding performance values from a cross-dynamical point of view. In addition, the M4 GTS also manages to cover its rather high weight of almost 1600 kilos very well. On the small course of Hockenheim he is on the same level as the 137 kilos lighter Porsche 911 GT3. Respect! The anticipation for the Supertest was never as great as today.

Text Christian Gebhardt

Appreciate 2
MarksM99.50
Brake_Late1937.50