View Single Post
      09-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #37
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I apologize if I came off defensive as it was not my intent nor was it directed towards you. The point is that two 2.5" pipes weigh significantly more than one 3.5" pipe

With that said, most people choose to go with the single midpipe over the twin to combat the natural raspy S55 engine note. The couple dozen pounds you save is an added benefit
What does the weight difference result in lap times or 1/4 mile improvements. That's what realistically matters over the theory of it. The stock 2.5" midpipes are extremely light gauge 409 stainless and aren't heavy compared with average stainless or mild steel exhaust tube.

The single mid pipe gets rid of the V6 dual exhaust farty sound, but only a perforated tube packed resonator gets rid of the raspiness where there's no room to resonate a single midpipe effectively as you can retaining the twin pipes. V6's with dual exhausts or an inline 6 with a 153624 firing order and dual exhausts off split headers with an insufficient balance pipe sounds like the S55 engine.

Last edited by RevNev; 09-20-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0