View Single Post
      07-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #125
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It's (BMW) profit margin WILL be higher than the E92 M3.
Your certainty about this intrigues me. Do you know how much money BMW makes on an M3 they sell the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
For instance from 1998 to 2007 BMW roughly doubled the number of vehicles they sold whereas their net income went up nearly 600%. That trend is continuing. How and why - one major factor is LESS EXPENSE PUT INTO THEIR CARS.
I don't think BMW regards cost cutting as a major factor for growing their company. I'm not saying it's unimportant; but, if you put there profit making strategy on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd guess BMW might put cost cutting in the 2-3 range. Selling more cars and convincing customers to load them up with performance gizmos and options has, to me, way more impact on the bottom line.
I don't think the BMW move from V-8 to I-6 was meant as a cost cutting move. Somebody else has mentioned this - It's a return to their roots. The V-8 M3 thing appears to me to have been a venture into the muscle car arena. BMW has been more about nimbleness and agility and, evidently, they want to go back there.
Appreciate 0