08-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Thanks again for sharing some information from the German language forums. I always appreciate hearing that as I don't read/speak German.

However, I don't think you numbers are entirely consistent. We do also need to consider actual tested values vs. BMW quoted values. I'm assuming for the performance numbers you are quoting actual measured numbers not the overly conservative numbers BMW always provides?
  • 3.3l/4.4l * 680 Nm = 510 Nm. If the car made 580 Nm it's torque per liter would be way way above the M5s S63Tu (14% higher). That just doesn't make sense. Regardless of a V6 or I6.
  • 580 Nm with a torque curve anything like the current M5 will provide substantially more than 460 hp, more like 470 hp. Although the car will probably be underrated, I don't think 470 hp is reasonable for the specified nor actual number. Your figures are just are not mathematically consistent numbers, regardless of being good guesses or not. What kind of guess is that?
  • As discussed in many places prior I believe even 3300 lb is unreasonable based on the existing 435i weight (EU unladen) which with I6 and DCT is 1600 kg or 3527 lb. The M4 is going to be 250 lb lighter with all of the components which MUST be heavier? Not without a high amount of very expensive composites and not without CF seats and CSiC brakes...

All of this being said, I firmly agree about the importance of production costs and that they far outweigh the development costs. More reason to favor the I6!
These number are only my guesses based on the informations I have, mostly from german forums ... more only per PM.

To Point 2: I think 580Nm is with the overboost function ... and the the V6 has clearly much more potential than my numbers.

And for the weight ... the new M3/M4 will have the lightest chasis ever build in at an car like this, also with carbon composite components ... it will have the lowest unsprung masses you can imagine.
Overall when you think about the new BMW carbon composite you must forget things like the M3 roof or Vorsteiner Parts ... look at the i3 and you see what I meen.

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 08-08-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0