Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I was just told by bmw that my 2018 M3 isn't eligible for a CarPlay upgrade. Even though it was a build option when I ordered the car.

I only want CarPlay for Waze. But if using waze and listening to xm radio at the same time isn't possible while also having easy channel change capability, it's useless to me.

I was told CarPlay can't show maps while idrive plays XM. Not sure if that's true.
I can't comment on the MY18 CarPlay eligibility issues you mentioned - I have a MY17 car that came w/CarPlay. I just upgraded my iPhone to iOS 12 to get Waze and Google Maps functionality (without needing a Jailbreak).

Waze (and Google Maps) integrates seamlessly with any audio source being played, to include keeping the Waze (or Google) map being displayed while the audio source is playing (sat radio or any other source). How you access your different Sat radio channels will depend on how you have your car set up. I have some sat channels assigned to preset buttons, which will not change the Waze screen. You can also use your steering wheel controls to change stations as well without changing from the Waze screen. If you want access to all of your sat radio channels, you will have to go to the sat radio screen in iDrive - but that has always been the case.

The one gripe I have about changing sat channels with CarPlay running (with Waze or any CarPlay app) is that when you use the steering wheel controls, you can only see the sat channels in one music category (whether it is projected on the HUD or in the instrument cluster). In order to see sat radio channels from other categories, you need to go to the Sat Radio idrive screen to switch categories. But I would not consider this a deal killer for me as it is only a few button pushes on the iDrive controller - and with the OEM touchscreen, it is even easier to use the system IMHO.

That said, the Waze integration in CarPlay was a bit underwhelming. It is still Waze (and is better than Apple Maps) but it is not as functional as Waze is on your phone (the primary Waze functionality is still there, but the deeper functions require you to use your phone). I can speculate that this was due to the CarPlay integration restrictions that Apple places on app developers who want their apps to work with CarPlay. However, Waze & Google Maps on CarPlay has only be officially released for less than 2 weeks now so it would not surprise me that some tweaks to the interface are coming after more feedback is obtained from Waze & Google Map users.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 09-27-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0