12-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #178
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Try reading up on the engine history of previous M engines. If the only engines worthy of the M name is the S65/85, then yes the S55 is nothing special... Just like all of the I6 M engines before (with the exception of M88/S38)!

My N53b30 engine also shares many components such as valves, cams and pistons etc with a M engine. Just like ANY internal combustion engine!!!

A few corrections:

-Block is NOT the same as N55 (just like previous I6 M engines it's based on a production block, but is a different block with lower weight and no separate liners)
-Air to water (or indirect) intercoolers are much better both in effociency of cooling and to manage heat soak. Not to mention the short path there is from turbo to intake side on the S55 setup.
-F10 M5 serve as Ring taxis and seem to do ok with track duty (but generally speaking the F10 is too heavy)
-Even though the F10 has lost more comparisons than many of it's predecessors it has won quite a few as well. But the world is changing and when German magazines place the F10 second or lower because it lacks AWD, then maybe that shows that there either is to much power now or that next gen M5 will be AWD...

But, please do what pleases you! Buy an 737 or buy an F35, both can fly and do many of the same things. And I'm sure that if you modify the 737 it will perform close to a F35 in some disiplines JK
Good post, but in the US, the F10 has been KILLED by EVERY US mag... mostly because of the electric steering. It's not just Audi and MB killing it, the Caddy's are whipping it's ass too. Again, I'm not saying the S55 is the SAME as an N55, but it's pretty damn similar. Previous /M engines had a similar block but performed TOTALLY differently. You couldn't tune a comparable N engine to get to the S engines performance without adding a blower, and even then, it souldn't behave the same. So it goes back to the OP's question of "is it worth it?"
How many owners of the F8x are really going to track to car to make use of the extra cooling or built-up tranny?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0