View Single Post
      08-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #267
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I'm not sure if this fix has made the rounds yet, but I had a creak from the A/C controls when going over uneven pavement (i.e. basically every road I drive on).

1. Start by removing the center dash trim piece by grasping from the top with your fingertips where the edge meets the dash and pulling gently toward the rear of the car. It will slowly slide back and you can dislodge the 2-3 brass prongs on the far right below the air vent with your fingers. They just pop out. There is a wiring harness connecting the temperature dial and hazard light button, but you need not disconnect them for this.

2. Using a small Torx bit (sorry, don't know the exact size, but am guessing T25), remove the two upper screws holding the A/C controls in place. They're normally hidden by the dash trim. Put the screws in the cupholder for safekeeping. The trim can slide back into the dash for now.

3. Using a small flathead screwdriver and a rag, gently pry down the trim below the A/C controls by inserting the screwdriver just below the A/C control bezel. The rag is to protect the bezel from scratches. The trim is just soft plastic and should easily pop free. A wire harness may be tucked into this panel depending on your model year, but it easily unhooks. The two bottom screws for the A/C controls should now be visible. Remove them and place them in the cupholder. All four screws are the same size.

4. On the back of the A/C controls, use adhesive felt to pad all four mounting points where the screws go through (it prevents the A/C controls from squeaking against the mounts). I also added some to the left and right side of the A/C control bezel because I think the integrated ambient light strip might have been a little loose. All adhesive felt is highlighted red.

4a. On the HK radio, there are two plastic pegs that stick out and go into holes in the AC controls to allow it to hang during mounting. Put adhesive felt on the tips of these pegs (highlighted red).

5. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Hopefully now the car can flex a little without causing any more creaking.
Appreciate 0