United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
Because it's higher performance.

It sounds like I'm being sarcastic about this, but I'm not. Even knowing absolutely nothing about what the "upgraded" package (whether it be the M3 Competition Package, or the Z06) is like, you can be sure that--by the nature of it being the higher performance package--it will be higher performance.

Many people who like a car prefer to purchase it in the highest performance trim possible. There's no reason to wait for that. Some people won't feel the need for the Competition Package, and they can still purchase the base model if they feel so inclined. For those who DO want the competition package, though, if they purchase the base model (because they like the car) and the Competition Package arrives 1 year later (with news of the competition package's arrival not coming until AFTER they purchase), they will feel jilted by BMW.
Agree with your point about people wanting to purchase the highest trim on any car, but understand that BMW isn't purposely holding the Competition Package back. Just like Corvette isn't holding the Z06 and ZR1 back now that the base C7 is out. Good development of any product means bringing the minimum viable option to market as quickly as possible. In BMW's case, that's the base M3. Once development on the base M3 is done, the engineers responsible for the car can go back and focus on the development of higher trim levels serially, whether it's the Competition Package, the new lightweight CSL/GTS variant, or something else entirely.

If they had it ready to go, it'd be on the market. But they're not going to sit on the base M3 while developing the Competition Package so that they can release both at the same time.
If you thought I disagreed with this, you misunderstand me. I believe everything you've said is true.

Regardless, people STILL want to know ASAP when the Competition Package (or Z06, etc) is arriving because they will STILL feel jilted if it shows up 1 year later. And, on BMW's side, despite not intentionally "holding back" the competition package, it IS in their best interests to keep it's arrival date hush-hush because they don't want to encourage potential buyers to wait.
Appreciate 0