View Single Post
      03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Ok so resonators are installed! Initial impressions are that at least for me, there is no discernible difference in volume vs the secondary cats. Cold start with valves open is a tad louder, but driving with windows up or down has no noticeable difference in volume.

The one area where this mod shows itself is under wide open throttle. As was mentioned, the high rpm rasp is gone as far as I can tell. I floored it under some highway overpasses and the cringey buzz is completely gone from outside the car. From inside the car, I have active sound unplugged, and the snarl that I used to get is replaced by a silky smooth, ever so slightly bassier tone. With valves unplugged there is absolutely no drone with windows open or closed.

In the end, this mod is not a volume mod, but strictly a tone mod. If I were to compare now to stock so far, I would say that from the outside the tone is much better, but from inside the car, some of that raw snarl is lost but replaced with a pleasantly bassy addition to stock tone.

Total cost for me was $200 for resonators, $180 for separate stock midpipe (optional), and $150 for install, coming out to $530 total. I used a second midpipe for an easy swap back to stock, and I think I can get some money back on the used market for this. But for just over $500, this sounds better than other cat bypass pipes I’ve heard, and if you want to remove rasp without increasing stock exhaust volume, this is the mod for you.

I will try to record a video later this week with a legit camera and upload sometime next week for everyone.
Appreciate 2
FTP2034.00
jbed39.50