06-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #110
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I've run both JB4 in map1/2 and ESS e-tronics in stage 1/2. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them.

JB4 OBDII connector does not seem like it was tested at all on 6MT cars. Frankly I feel like a stepchild running 6MT with JB4 these days. The power is great but the features always seem to be more buggy on 6MT cars.
Thanks I may hit you up with some questions. I also have 6MT. What do you have in your car currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigwet View Post
I finally switched to the ESS tune and I have to say what everyone else has said - it is very smooth and pulls just as hard as the JB4. I was somewhat skeptical of the smoothness claim as it came from people who had automatics but I would argue it is also applicable to manuals.

So far I've tried the linear (1) and normal (3) maps on 91 octane with no plus or minus in boost. Where I really notice the difference is in the low end - below 3000 rpm. There is a noticeable power/torque increase compared to the JB4 and it follows up with smooth ripping power as you increase in RPM. I'm quite impressed.

Aside from having to splice wires and all that with the JB4, I actually found the ESS a bit more difficult to install. The CAM sensor was tricky to remove (performed with long skinny flat head) and to install (really tight area if you don't remove the intake pipes which I did not).

So the saga continues...
Thanks for the update. Soooo..... which one will you keep?

Also, have you noticed any more traction issues with ESS over JB4?

I had just about eliminated JB4 for myself, since I wanted mainly a 'set it and forget it' tune that offered max reliability. JB4 seemed to allow the most tinkering, Dinan the least (and is too expensive); ESS might have been just right. But then one of the forum members switched from ESS to JB4, saying ESS wasn't very linear or had some problems or something. And I also realized you can just tinker JB4 to make it very conservative. Which left me even more
Appreciate 1