12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #1898
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
GrussGott, I'm getting that itch to tune my car again. Talk me out of it.......
Honestly when it comes to mods or tunes especially, it partially comes down to your own personal preference and how you like to do your mods. For me, I always tend to go on the side of caution but it is especially true when it comes to tunes. My own personal saying has always been, “If you aren’t 100% sure, then do not do it.” I have gone with that statement for years and the one time I went away from it, I regretted doing it.

When I had my M4, my first exhaust wasn’t any of my original choices, it was a Catback Remus. I pretty much regretted it within a few weeks due to many little issues that added up for me. Cold start, valves rattle like crazy, the car was also annoyingly loud, and the worse was Remus Catback droned. The droning wasn’t extreme but it was definitely noticeable for me and I absolutely hated hearing it. I sold the exhaust within 3 months and went do the one I was going to go with from the get to, Akrapovic.

Now obviously a tune is different than an exhaust, since exhaust are reversable. You cannot do that with a tune if the tune blows up your engine. But as GrussGott said, these warranties by Dinan aren’t 100% warranty per say. They are only there to tell you, if BMW denies your warranty then they will pick up the bill to fix it. However, even that isn’t completely true because what if Dinan declines to do so? They can always argue that their tune wasn’t the root cause if the issue in which case, you are screwed. Never take these warranty things as a sure thing that it is going to happen. Especially when it comes to tuning there is no such thing as a sure thing, that doesn’t exist for tunes.

That being said, my friend did tune his car and his tune is from Alex at Alpine. Justin recommended it as my friend’s 2017 isn’t a ZCP, he choose to get his M3 w/o ZCP and completely regretted it so, he tuned his M3 to get the ZCP in. From what I understand, he got the most conservative one he can get from Alex and Alex’s tunes aren’t overly aggressive and it as close to OEM as possible. He hasn’t had any problems with his and it’s been close to a year since he gotten his. My friend knew the risk and he was concerned, still is but he hasn’t had problems and my friend is our SA so he, as far as I know, hasn’t gotten in trouble yet.

The chances of anything happening with tunes is, I would say, minor but the chances are still there and that is the “issue”. I would even point to your ownership of the GT350 as an example. I’m sure there are other owners who didn’t run into the amount of problems you had with your Mustang during that year and a half of ownership. The percentage might be different but it is still kind of the same thing. Just because it hasn’t happened to others, doesn’t mean it won’t happen to you. If you are going to keep your car for a duration, then I wouldn’t tune. As my saying goes,

“If you aren’t 100% sure, then do not do it.”

I would like my M3 to be as close to the Clubsport as possible, the only thing I would miss at this point is the hood and the engine tune. I know the CS hood saves close to 100 pounds or so and with my Brembos ready to be put on and my FI-R already there, I would probably shave a lot of weight off my car, which is great but, I really don’t want to tune and I have no room to place my OEM hood (that and the $$).

There will always be a risk with tunes. If you are able to look beyond it, then I would say why not but these cars are already overly powerful for the street. Making a bit more HP or Torque seems pointless to me, not to mention the gas, it will certainly eat more.
minn1914037.50
GrussGott18183.50