View Single Post
      06-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
My dealer told me that they don't recommend doing the software update even after I told them I was fine paying for it. I went with the THOR Flasher instead and BM3.
Yes, dealers seem wary of doing software updates as there is a reputation that it could brick the ECUs. But I am told that is not much of a concern with the F series and above cars (apparently it was widespread on the E series).

Anyway I should have mentioned that I got done by an indie shop. The first indie shop I went to said the same thing as the dealer and even after I agreed to not hold them liable, they called me back and kept warning me about how it would cost $3K to fix if the ECUs got bricked. The second indie shop was lot more confident and seemed to know what they were doing. Both shops had me sign a liability waiver.

What I heard about Thor is that is doesn't really flash your ECU but only changes the settings. So if you didn't have the right firmware it may not be able to change all settings. Did I get this wrong? Does it actually flash the ECU completely?
Appreciate 0