View Single Post
      02-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
completely agree. I learned this first hand from replacing my stock adaptive suspension on my e92 with KWV3. here are a few observations:

1. the ride quality was way worse. anybody who tells you that the ride quality is similar or better is either smoking crack or driving around on billiard tables. I had the suspension adjusted to its softest setting and it's highest height (which is still a drop compared to stock) because it was just too uncomfortable. only then was it bearable, but when I re-installed the stock setup, I fell in love with the car all over again. so much better from the factory. never again will I tinker with the suspension.
2. don't confuse a car that corners flat with one that handles well. you can always make a car corner flat through stiffening. and cornering completely flat in and of itself isn't necessarily a good thing for handling/speed.
3. lowering the car messes with the suspension geometry and can compromise how the wheels/tires move in relation to the road under cornering loads. this takes a truly expert suspension tuner a long time to perfect, and I think you'd have a hard time making any lowered aftermarket system handle as well as the stock setup. As KP stated, you have to spend big dollars to make it right, and even then you've compromised the daily driveability that makes this car so great.

EDIT: to be clear, coilovers were the only mod I made to my M3 that I thought would enhance performance, but instead made it worse and made the car less enjoyable to drive. the only mod I regretted.
Someone honest about how modding isn't the holy grail.... You sir, deserve a beer on the house.
Appreciate 0