View Single Post
      07-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #2619
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I forgot about the religious aspect. So another question. Right now there's a white Christian majority in power that lines up with their religious views. What happens if (especially on a local level) non white Muslims are the majority and they start enacting parts of Sharia law? I've seen it tried here and there and the uproar from the white Christian majority is deafening. Hence why I'd rather stay out of legislating on religious belief law as much as possible as I don't want any one religion controlling the country.

To be clear, I truly hate abortion. Nobody likes it, but legislating it out on religious terms is also wrong IMO. Especially when the religion that is outlawing it opposes contraception and pushes mostly/only abstention for birth control. Which, as we can see doesn't work, even within the religious majority that are pushing these concepts/beliefs. Last, when all of these unwanted kids start coming the religious right/Republicans say you shouldn't of gotten pregnant and you are on your own/don't touch my wallet. I see much hypocrisy here.

Also, I grew up in a very Lutheran (German) household and went to church quite a bit when younger etc. Nothing and I mean nothing except for the push to ban abortion leads me to see how Christians can follow a man like Trump. The guy seriously has more similarities to how the antichrist is described in the bible. He embodies the exact opposite of Jesus's core teachings. Which, I'm always amused when it seems like US Christians think Jesus and God for that matter are US citizens or on the US's side?
Yes, religion does tend to colour my worldview. Not possible to separate it either.

That being said, abortion does not need to be legislated out on the basis of religion. It is the protection of an innocent human and assigning a basic right to life to them. Nothing religious about that.

So to your question about Sharia Law, yeah, I'd be opposed to it, and it would be my right to be and to protest and etc. Just like it is everyone else's right to protest the new abortion laws and how they're "unfair" to women. Go ahead. This won't bother me at all. But ultimately, if the country I live in enacts a law that I simply cannot stand and also cannot change, then the onus is on me to move somewhere where that law is not in place. Or to resign myself to that law.

I don't have any problem with contraception myself. I'm unclear to be honest where in the Bible it is forbidden. If you happen to know / remember, I'd be very interested in reading it.

On that point, I'm reminded of an old joke I read - a pastor was giving a sermon and at the end was reminding everyone that children were a gift from God (which is true). And an old woman piped up and said that rain was also a gift from God, but when he gives it abundantly we all put on a set of rubbers.

Sadly though, I believe you are right on the hypocrisy where few are willing to support these children and that is sad. I know myself that I am not someone who could adopt, though I know several families who have. And it is amazing their unconditional love for those children. I have no issues giving financially to families / similar programs, but I know I can't adopt.

Yes, believing God is a US citizen or on the US' side is ridiculous. It is clear that He is a Canadian and on Canada's side.

But no, he isn't for one specific country, though I do believe that Israel will always be his chosen nation. And that they will make up the 144,000 spoken about in Revelation.
Appreciate 1
minn1914070.50