View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #241
Uberm3
Rep
Drives: Many

New to the forum - came looking for the latest info. I'll apologize in advance for the rant.

Overall I'm disappointed and underwhelmed. Background on my perspective - In 21 years I've owned a dozen or more BMWs new, classic, ///m you name it (usually several at once). I'm probably also responsible for getting a dozen people close to into BMWs after driving/riding in mine (street and track).

These cars (and M cars in particular) used to be special, not about least common denominator marketing, which the product manager from UK in the intro video expressed. Being a product manager myself, I get it. Margins and volumes are king. Success is about knowing your customer and building the right end product for them.

It's just disappointing that BMW M cars getting morphed in this transformation as well. Lighted ///M badges in the seats? Motor seems like a warmed over N54/N55 hybrid (queue all the US S50/52 haters). M exhaust flap - is that really a feature or EPA bandaid that turned into a sound manipulator to try recapture a unique lost attribute? Hear that? It's the sound of E9X M3s appreciating. The F8X Ms are stylish in their own aggressive way but lacking the substance to make them truly unique. Don't get me started on the M4 part....only one manufacturer can say it built the winningest touring car in history. Throwing that away shows how irrelevant motorsport is to the current buying demographic and how disconnected the current "M" cars are from it.

Obviously after seeing these cars its unlikely I'll buy one of these. Its unfortunate because admittedly I'm a fan boy (5 of my current vehicles are BMWs) not for vanity but because I'm an enthusiast and BMWs delivered. I do like that BMW is giving consumers more options. The narrowing gap between ///m and non-m means I'll be happy with taking ED on a 435i gran coupe or 335i to replace my daily E60 550 6MT sport and not be missing much.

BMW you should read the mustang thread in this forum....enlightening.

Last edited by Uberm3; 12-26-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0