09-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #329
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Not sure why I chime in on this one since I find the drag strip quite boring and the numbers achieved there of little interest but in my experience hp is the main factor for trap speed. The time is mainly power to weight with weight being very important since the time is a result of average speed ( as lap times on a track ) where a quick start is imperative. The 1/4 mile however is long enough for cars to reach speeds where hp becomes very important to the final trap speed.
HP is obviously a vital factor in trap speed, but Newton has a law where a=f/m (acceleration equals force divided on mass).

To increase speed you need to accelerate the object you want to increase speed on. To increase speed you need to apply a force and that force has to overcome the mass (weight) of the object. So mass IS important.

Obviously the higher the speed the more aero drag you get (which is a opposing force to the engine's positive, or accelerative, force). At higher speeds you will also need a higher accelerative force (HP) to overcome drag and not just the weight (or mass).
Appreciate 0