Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
OUCH! Is the instructor going to pay for it? I can handle damaging my own car through my own actions, but I would be more than annoyed if it was someone else, especially an instructor who's supposed to be experienced.

I would say the best thing for getting that confidence back is inducing oversteer in a controlled space, like a skid pad or even an autocross with DCT off. Feel how the car behaves when it's upset, get comfortable with going sideways... several successful corrections without snap oversteer and you'll get your dancing legs back. I know circuit drivers generally look down upon parking lot racing/solos but it's a good place to practice with low risk.
He'll be paying for a new lip. Drove 6 hours to be there so honestly I was just happy that the rest of the car was okay and it didn't end my weekend. Ya will have to wait till next season for that. Just gotta wait now to get some snow out here so I can pop the winter tires on and take the car out...for science

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Wow, how irresponsible from your instructor. His job is to build your confidence and make you faster, not try to impress you.
Don't think he was trying to impress me. I guess he just did not expect the car to behave the way it did (he's used to lighter fwd cars). Weird thing is, even in the passenger seat, I remember feeling the back end come around and thinking why he still hasn't corrected it yet. When he did catch it, his hands were all over the place too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
He'll be paying for a new lip. Drove 6 hours to be there so honestly I was just happy that the rest of the car was okay and it didn't end my weekend. Ya will have to wait till next season for that. Just gotta wait now to get some snow out here so I can pop the winter tires on and take the car out...for science

Don't think he was trying to impress me. I guess he just did not expect the car to behave the way it did (he's used to lighter fwd cars). Weird thing is, even in the passenger seat, I remember feeling the back end come around and thinking why he still hasn't corrected it yet. When he did catch it, his hands were all over the place too.
For sure over winter you can do many science experiments!! It's so much fun to drive M3s in winter, I love it.

Despite the internet videos of people jumping curbs and doing other stupid things, the F8X M3 is a pussy cat just like the previous generations.

Organizations usually try to pair students with instructors that have similar cars. A FWD car is so different to drive vs RWD... what a shame.

I hope your car is made whole again soon
I haven't driven a FWD daily or close to the limit in almost 20 years. Is oversteer recovery almost the same? Counter steer and lift throttle? Or maybe FWD is more throttle since the weight is in front and throttle will shift the weight to the rears? That's what I remember doing in the rain in my MK2 GTI anyway.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0