04-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #168
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
Thanks for this really good explanation !!!

To make my statememt from above right, I must say that I am speaking from car with nearly the same hp-output (in the same hp-class) to make apples-to-apples ... I think in this case the car with less wheel spin issues would be faster - in the corner and as fast as in straight line.

In my opinion more low-end-torque or more torque makes automatically no car faster on the track ... if this would be the case all US-Muscle-Car would be unbeatable in trackuse.
Low end torque can be harder to deal with on a track, that's right. Especially if it's of the on/off kind of character...

It definitely takes throttle modulation skills and a driver that has good reactions and "feel" for the car

Also don't forget that with a turbo engine like the S55 you will also have the option of shortshifting out of a corner if traction is a problem. Just change up one gear and the engine will still be in it's torque band and give good acceleration but without wheelspin Just look at this years F1 driving style. To manage the high torque they often short shift coming out of a corner.

US muscle cars (of the old school) didn't have the suspension or brakes to do quick lap times. But look at the new Corvette with it's large displacement engine and loads of low end grunt. Seems to do pretty well aroun a track

And look at this guy tracking his M6 round the 'Ring. He carries quite a lot of speed into, through and out of corners. And that's in a car with heaps of torque...

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>
Appreciate 0