12-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
That sounds pretty sad. In my country when something happens, we are supposed to be adults, take responsibility, fix it and move on. Here it seems no one does that because admitting fault makes you the one paying for it, and moving on doesn't really happen. The cultural differences really slaps one in the form of stickers
I think there's a lot more at play than simply responsibility.

The stickers are a symptom of a couple things: 1) The overwhelming costs of lawyers and 2) taking advantage of peoples' ignorance in order to keep law suits at bay. In my example, for instance, if you didn't know any better, and the valet came back with a dinged car, you might think, "Well, not much I can do about it, since it says right on my valet ticket that they're not responsible."

But the lawsuits themselves are also symptomatic of great big issues pertaining to the wealth gap, lawyers who will take on cases free of charge (because they know they can at least get an out-of-court settlement), and indeed, lawyers who dig up clients just to wage class action suits and line their pockets.

Make no mistake: the only ones winning here are the lawyers.