Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Any of the listed controllers would work, plug and play, for the most part but note that the if the replacement controller is not properly programmed to vehicle, it's going show a permanent fault code within the iDrive module.

I tried incessantly to remove the 'encoding' error after replacing my controller but only the dealer was able to flash program the new unit, which include an iStep update.
Soft error. Means nothing. No warning in dash/CID.

Simple to fix with ISTA or eSys.
I agree, it is a 'soft error' as it doesn't show up on the iDrive display but the fault is still stored permanently within the module and when you run a Test Plan with ISTA+, the only official solution is flash programming.

I tried to find a work-around, including contacting a few 'coders' to help, no one was able to assist.

However, if you have a viable suggestion, I'm all ears, as I would love to add back my ceramic controller, error free.
The ceramic is not supposed to be in a F2x/F3x/F8x, only a 5 series+, so it will always present as a soft error in ISTA.

That has NOTHING to do with what OP is asking here as he is just looking to replace an iDrive controller that is supposed to be in his car.
I know what the OP asked and I was merely pointing out it that regardless of which controller he replaced it with, it still needs to programmed to vehicle to eliminate "encoding" fault.

I personally matched the part number of a brand new replacement controller, to which originally came with my vehicle and it still displayed a shadow code. I was only able to eliminated the fault after the dealer programmed said controller to sync with my vehicle, as prescribed by ISTA (See Below).

Now, you claimed that there is way to encode the controller with ISTA or ESYS, my question is how?

It's not a challenge, I honestly want to know if there is DIY work-around other than having the dealer flash program it, as you pointed out.
Why have you hijacked this thread on something that is not relevant instead of starting your own thread?

A Dealer will use ISTA to code any ECU to the car as can anyone else.

And any ECU can be updated with eSys.
If he's replacing the controller, it needs to be programmed, as that's part of the official process, as I clearly pointed out.

You jumped in and claimed there is a way around this, so I just ask how?

It very much relevant and was merely informing him of such possible issue, not to "hijack."

Anyway, you obviously don't have a viable solution, so let's just leave it at that and move on.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=15152782

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21970686
Appreciate 0