View Single Post
      06-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #39
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
Nope. I'm not comparing hypothetical shifts, I'm comparing real life shifts that I did in my '18 6MT ZCP vs. my '20 DCT CS. I'll grant you that at times DCT can downshift rather quickly, but a lot of the times it seems to get confused and there can be upwards of a 1s delay between pressing the paddle and having the transmission engage. If you know how to heel-toe properly you can complete a full shift in less than half a second. Under ideal circumstances DCT beats that, but in real world driving most of the time it doesn't.

Plus, the shift settings don't make too much sense. To get ideal downshifts you want it set to level 3. Except, in level 3, upshifts are so aggressive that they can throw the car out of balance or even kick traction control in. Then if you lower the shift setting to 1 or 2, upshifts are perfect but it laaaags on downshifts. Since you said you've spent time in a GT3RS you should have firsthand experience of how much better PDK is at both. I'm not hating on the car overall -- I love it in fact -- but DCT is far from a perfect transmission. I've driven ZF8's that performed better.
Are you driving it in eco-mode and in automatic mode? Maybe the GTS is different, but in manual mode with engine/transmission in Sport, I have very responsive shifts. I've got tens of thousands of miles driving manuals, hundreds of hours driving manual racecars, and there's no way I'm shifting faster than my DCT.

I do get a shimmy when doing WOT shifts below 5th gear, but I've had the same experience in other high torque DCTs. Pretty certain it's hitting the transmission with nearly full-torque at clutch engagement, or it feels that way.
Appreciate 0