View Single Post
      06-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #42
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I went from ZCP 6MT to ZCP DCT and in normal, every day life the DCT is by far the more efficient/effective transmission. There is zero contest if you just want to move swiftly - both upshifts and downshifts. Upshifts are especially impressive.... even normal every day upshifts, because you can keep your throttle foot right where it was during shifts with absolutely 100% zero turbo lag. It's really, really good (and this is coming from an S54/S65 guy).

However - the 6MT, in the real world, is about 20 times more fun and fulfilling. It is a shocking difference. The gear ratios (long and relaxed relative to DCT) and the full control you have over the motor/driveline suit the S55 like nothing else - it's absolutely sublime. This is a case where something clearly objectively FAR superior (DCT) is just flat out not the better choice for real world fun. Out of all my 6MT 36/46/90Ms.... the ZCP F80 6MT is by far my most favorite. There is, however, one problem with the 6MT - significant turbo lag under aggressive upshifts. For tracking I would chose the DCT all day err day, though.

From this, I would say that if you are even slightly leaning towards the 6MT then the DCT is a mistake and thus the CS should not be considered. The ZCP / 6MT combo is BADASS - the most badass M-Car to date. Trust me.

If I were buying a new M4 right now it would be an IR Heritage 6MT.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50