Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leng8093 View Post
UPDATE:

Did some thorough testing yesterday (as jmg suggested - big shout out!) and, long story short, it was toggling the M throttle in anything other than "efficient" mode which causes the sound.

Specifically, what I did was drive the car around in default, non-M settings (40 minutes of driving) and, lo and behold, no sound at all, everything was perfect. Next, I went through the individual M settings and tested each in isolation against the sound producing criteria, suspension, steering, MDM -all passed except the exact moment I adjusted throttle from "efficient" to either "sport" or "sport+", bam! There it was!

Car's currently at the dealership and, after test driving with the shop forman (he didn't have an idea off the top of his head why this would be occurring), my fingers are crossed they now can squash this issue once and for all.

Big thank you for all the input and suggestions I've received from everyone! Absolutely invaluable in lending me a hand to track this issue down!

As an aside, any thoughts of what it could be in the engine that the M throttle setting adjusts (exhaust valves as was previously suggested)?
Good to hear you narrowed it down! I love it when the community can help out a fellow driver with their problems! Keep us in the loop!
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i