View Single Post
      09-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
It is a habit of wittnessing BMW underrating its turbo engines, in some cases greatly. That's why. I agree that there is nothing underrated about the S65 or previous S engines though.

It does not mean that it will be the case with the new engine, just that it is possible.

More important is the weight, feel of the new steering, handling balance etc. No one should be worried about the engine numbers and performance since it sure will outperform the S65 underrated or not.
I agree. After having spent a day driving the 6s ( 650 & M6 GC, Vert and Coupe ), The 7s ( 750i, 750 iL, B7 ) on track, autocross and drag strip I cemented my own view that power means nothing to me as long as it's "sufficient". I would not trade the S65 for any of those more powerful engines. Why? Throttle lag, low rpms and lack of in cabin engine note. To me it's the character of the new engine that means everything, the power figures was to be honest totally uninterresting to me. I knew it would be above 400 hp and that's all I need to know. It would be very interresting to hear details on what BMW has done in order to reduce lag and increase pull at top rpm for the F8X.
Appreciate 0