View Single Post
      11-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #127
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
while I don't disagree with most of your points, I think the answer to this question is that the money went into BMW's pockets (or to its shareholders, to be more precise). who says they need to reinvest that profit re-engineering other parts of the car? it seems obvious to a lot of people that BMW is cashing in on the M brand with the stupid M model parts they offer everywhere (just like Audi's S-line and Mercedes' AMG parts). it's a good strategy for short-term profits, but time will show where the value of the M brand is heading.
I heard on the news yesterday that Porsche accounts for only 1 in 60 sold cars from the VW group while Porsche accounts for 1/4 of the groups profits. This is likely what BMW is eyeing with the M cars, we have been spoilt with exotic level of engineering to mass market car pricing from M, this seems to end here. We will get same or better level of performance but cost cutting will be also be evident with more mainstream engine tech and build processes since the other option of charging GT3 money for what came cheap up until now isn't really going to work.
Appreciate 0