07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #157
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Sorry but I don't agree. One of the few details that makes the P65 different compared to the S65 is the crank. How so the the S65 you claim to be very different compared to a Ferrari V8 is all of a sudden the same in P65 form? M3 V8 is more Ferrari like than a Maserati V8 which is a Ferrari engine but with crossplane crank compared to Ferrari's flat one.

What makes the engines similar is their power delivery. No other NA engine delivers its power like an S65.
The P65 IS comparable to any other flat plane crank engine. Just the same as a Ford Mustang V8 would be if it had a flat plane crank. I think you don't realize how much the different crank design means.

You could take any DOHC V8 engine. Flat plane or not. They all have overhead cams, multi valves, 90 deg V etc. You can get high flowing heads and high performance equipment for all of then.

What sets them apart with regards to sound and characteristics is down to crank design. Just Google it. Don't take my word for it, do your own research. There is even a good thread on this board about the P65 and flat plane crank that offer more technical insight into the significant differences between the two crank designs.

And there are loads of NA V8 engines that deliver power like the S65. It's not like BMW has discovered some magic or secret that no one knows about. The S65 is a great engine. But no matter what it's still a cross plane crank engine. There IS a reason the P65 isn't cross plane but flat plane! Just find the thread here about the P65 and it's crank design.

Last edited by Boss330; 07-06-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0