View Single Post
      10-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #152
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Agreed. I'm thinking N55 replacement with a single twin scroll turbo.
The N55 replacement will share the architecture of the new B38 three cylinder. The S55 is likely to see use in models such as an X3/X4 M or Z3/Z4 M. Other possibilities exist such as, just for example, a super car with hybrid drivetrain in the 600hp+ output range.

Quote:
Almost no way it stays excusive to //M.
I strongly suspect that it will, just like all M-built S* motors have. Well, there is the Z8, but that would fall under my super car point above. This engine won't find its way into normal series cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sure the naming factor is related to the legacy of the M1. Rumor I heard though was ...
Regardless of how we may each feel about it and how we may categorize it (which is wandering a bit off topic if we are being honest), let's not forget that the 1M was a one-off product, not the beginning of a whole new line of M cars planned deliberately to be executed on a tight timeline with a comparably small budget.

There is the new M Performance vehicles though, which would fit into your list of types of M branded vehicles in your earlier post. As we know, these are products that typically sit just above the M-Sport trim line in the overall picture, borrowing heavily (almost entirely) from the aesthetics of that line rather than using M-proper aesthetics, and mechanically offering mostly minor tweaks from the top tier series car which they sit just above. The new M235i, however, does at least add an LSD which is a popularly requested feature for a non-M-proper car.
Appreciate 0