View Single Post
      08-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #58
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Unless it is really really rare, I don’t get the car investment argument. After paying storage, insurance, taxes, future dollar values etc etc how much is one really making over 10-20-30 years? I’ve always thought there were much better/easier investments than cars (at this level) at least. Could they appreciate? Sure/maybe, but as much as really valuable older cars, I highly doubt it. Sure it’s sort of rare in a sense, but it still has essentially the same interior and drivetrain S55/DCT as 60,000 other ones. Will a twin turbo I6 with an already outdated DCT be in really high demand in 30-50 years like some Ferrari’s, Porsche’s or even first run Shelby cars? Call me highly skeptical.

Also, if my M4 CS hits its residual in 3 years I’ll be slight amazed. So I’m under no illusions of my cars value either.
700-800 units of a car worldwide is considered really rare by most people's standards unless you are getting into ultra rare limited edition bugattis etc.

Collectors do not worry about paying storage fees. They have their own space whether it's used or just sitting there, as for insurance, unless you have a lien/loan and are required to carry full coverage, insurance is VERY cheap without collision.

You can't just look at individual components when assessing a car's value. You have to look at the sum of the complete package/picture and as a whole, the GTS is a different car than an M4 no matter how you try to knock it. People have tried to go and buy individual "GTS" components and build but at the end of the day, their car still ends up "feeling", drives and sounds different than a GTS.
Appreciate 0