GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Probably on a crash course to a mid 50s heart explosion.
If you haven't already / didn't know, I'd recommend getting a coronary CT scan for your calcium score - this will tell you (more/less) if you have signs of disease progress and, if so, how much - and it's super easy to do (and fairly cheap). Docs will typically say don't do it but, imho, they're wrong because once you know your score you'll be able to calibrate and start making changes by walking down the pareto chart of causes:

credit #fatemporer, Ivor Cummins

You can estimate your level of insulin resistance if you know your fasted insulin and glucose using this calculator, and if you're interested in how engineers view and treat heart disease, this is the place to start. Big thing is to get rid of visceral fat - my 2 cents, this is how people "in great shape" have heart attacks: they look skinny, have good numbers, get tons of exercise, but have lots of visceral fat. You can find out your visceral fat levels with a Dexascan or, better, an MRI.

The best way to get rid of visceral fat is time-restricted eating, aka, intermittent fasting. I do a 20 hours off, 4 hours on, but I'm "fat adapted" meaning my body can run on fat (ketones) instead of carbs. If you're not / haven't tried it before, there are lots of protocols out there, but the general rule is start on 12 / 12 then 16/8 then your choice.

I also bought a blood pressure monitor even though I've never really had an issue there and holy shitballs is THAT interesting! Basically any day I do at least 30 min of 150bpm exercise my blood pressure is "low" normal. If I skip exercise, even for 1 day, I go back to 120+/80+ which is "normal", but wtf is going on there?? Anyway, if nothing else, it keeps me motivated. (I do 4 readings in a row daily and average them - kinda just for fun, but now I feel like I have to. fucking data)

Back on workouts - you've inspired me! - so here's how I do push-ups:

* elbows 45 degrees
* 3 seconds up, full extension, hold 1 second
* 3 seconds down, lift hands at the bottom

I can do maybe 80 in a day for now, probably 60, but ain't getting close to 100 I'm also going to add in 25 pullups. fucker.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-06-2020 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0