View Single Post
      03-16-2021, 07:43 AM   #84
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

What I don't understand is all these companies trying to compete with Google and Apple.
To me, it's a waste of resources, but hey, I don't create the business cases for BMW, Audi, etc.
If your whole household drives nothing but new BMWs and keeps buying BMWs for years to come, it MAY make sense to jump into this eco-system.
But most families have either multiple car brands or models from the same brand, but different years and equipment.

With a 2009 BMW and 2016 Audi, I can tell you that I use exactly ZERO of their fancy voice commands. They are useless. By the time you learn them and use them, you switch cars and get frustrated. Even simple thing like iDrive control knob and Audi MMI knob scroll on the screen in opposite direction. Bugs me every time.
For example, updating navigation maps and learning commands to control those are worthless since the easiest thing for me is to pull out my phone and say Hey Google or Hey Siri. Those are apps and devices people use daily.
So, all I need from a car manufacturer is a nice screen and CarPlay and Android Auto out of the box.
I don't need to turn my heat up with a voice command. A knob will do just fine. Learning new touchscreen is not only something most customers won't do, but it's down right dangerous on the road. I hope all these cars come with autonomous braking, driving aids, and driver slapping for checking messages via iDrive.
Appreciate 0