CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I run DSC OFF and I'm pre-abs before corners. It's how I was taught originally by my NASA instructor.

I'm not a pro by any means so the question of whether or not I can improve my technique to reduce brake heat is an easy answer: absolutely.

The issue here is that I track with my buddies and we all analyze each other's braking/corner speeds/line. It's a C7 Grandsport, (2) 1LE Camaros with ZL1 brakes and a Shelby GT350 with a track pack. I'm the only one struggling with my brakes and I'm braking earlier and earlier throughout the day because I lose consistency. I'm also going a lot faster in the front and back straight than they are.

Take a look at my most recent Glen lap:

See how early I'm braking? This is day 2, last session. If I brake any later I don't know if the car will even stop before the run off.

I definitely need to improve my technique and I'm working on it but these brakes are sub-par. At the very least, the lack of brake cooling is a major issue that is well known on the F80.

I'm open to criticism, definitely not sensitive here.
It's difficult for me to comment on your braking since there's no data log on brake force. An oddity I do see is the throttle opening during braking. I am not sure how accurate your telemetry is, but it often shows 20~25% throttle during braking. If it is accurate, you are doing something wrong and not helping your brakes. Do you left foot brake? Or could maybe your right foot be overlapping your throttle pedal while you brake? You might want to look at your your footwork.

I can also share some other observations. Watching your video, your gear shifting seems at odds, where you downshift on track out instead of downshifting while braking before entering the corner. You also seem to be late on the throttle on track out. For fun, I compared your exit speeds to my own logs from the Glen and you are a fair bit slower on corner exit than I am on most of the corners. You probably could shave quite a lot of time by dowshifting before corner entry and especially by getting sooner and harder on the throttle right after the apex.

I am no pro, just sharing what I see

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-10-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0