07-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #87
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
You're correct in my issue, post-apex grip on the NT01 has been garbage for me. Pre-apex the grip is on-par or better than the Cup 2.

Well now I'm embarrassed. I know when I unpacked them I examined the fronts, and they were mid-2018s. I clearly didn't examine the rears outside of depth gauging them. Mid-2017 on the rears

Thanks for asking that question. Think I'll order a set of NT01s ASAP to give them a proper test. Under $1k for a set, and if they wear like the fronts have been wearing, they'll be great warm-up tires before swapping to something stickier.
All good, those should still be ok if not subjected to poor storage conditions. NT01's grip all the way to the cords, in my experience. When just the two circumferential grooves remain you know you're in the good stuff. Tread isn't showing any weird deg?

If the 18" approach will equal or surpass OE in terms of forward traction, 305 NT01 on an 18 x 11 really should do it.

More context for what I'm suggesting as it applied to 992 911 development --

2) Enlarge the diameter of the rear wheels.

Calculations and simulations showed that enlarging the diameter of the rear wheels would improve dynamics even though it would also add weight. The 2020 Porsche 911 S and 4S now ride on 21-inch wheels at the rear and 20s up front, though the tire sizes haven't changed at 305/30 rear and 245/35 up front. While this influenced all of the surrounding areas of the suspension and the packaging of the car, Porsche felt it was worth the effort because it would make the handling more neutral and controllable. The company had experience with the practice as the 918 Spider and GT2 and GT3 cars already use staggered wheel sizes, and there are no better handling Porsches than those. Handling becomes more neutral because the bigger rear wheels provide greater rear end stability and grip without having to go with a wider tire.

Obviously, to each his own and I'm not trying to convince to run the OE wheels. I just think it's interesting that you've dropped 2" diameter, fitted a stickier, wider tire, and the back end is nowhere near as planted. I can't say that I sensed less grip with a 19" 305, but the 19" 275/305 setup was definitely not as communicative or alive. The driving dynamics weren't as optimal. That's why I bounced back.

Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00