05-31-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So I just completed this retrofit and I will second just how easy it is to swap the monitors. You just don't want to go too fast because it would really suck if you dropped one of the screws into the dash or accidentally scratched your trim pieces during removal or installation.

The coding is very simple and I was able to do it myself using the BimmerCode app in Expert Mode. The parameters that require changing are in the NBT_EVO ECU. You can use the search function in BimmerCode to easily find these parameters as there are a lot of them in this ECU. The following parameters require changing:

1) HMI_ID_VERSION: id6_light
2) CID_TOUCH: aktiv (Active)
3) CID_HMI_TOUCH: aktiv (Active)

For those of you that have ID6 Lite coded (as I did) you should already have the first parameter set. The next two parameters will need to be changed. After you code everything and the headunit reboots, you will know the touch screen is recognized when you see the little "3 square" symbol in the upper left corner of the screen (see the video from the OP above).

How do I like it so far? So far so good, but it is still a bit early I guess as I have only played around with it for a bit in my garage after the install and coding. I do see how the distance of the screen makes using it more cumbersome while driving as I do have to lean forward a bit to use it - but maybe that is not a bad thing from a driving safety perspective . I think the ID6 GUI definitely lends itself to touch and there is some functionality that I discovered that is unique to the touchscreen. However, most iDrive functionality is the same between the touchscreen and the iDrive controller. But I like having different options to control the headhunt, which will be a mix of voice (with Siri and BMW), the controller and now the touchscreen.

Where I think the touchscreen really shines the most is with using CarPlay. In it's current form CarPlay is a bit of a disappointment to me (as many others have posted about on the forums) due to the lack of supported apps. However, the touchscreen makes using it much easier IMHO as CarPlay essentially mirrors the iPhone - which of course is based on a touch interface. Next step for me is to jailbreak my iPhone, which can unlock ALL of the apps for use with CarPlay with a special app. This is what I am really after (using different iPhone apps) and without a touchscreen, using iPhone apps not originally designed for CarPlay may not work well (or at all) with the iDrive controller.

So I am glad I did it, and the ability to use all iPhone apps (with a jailbroken iPhone) is better than any other aftermarket touchscreen solution on the market right now IMHO. Of course, I would not have done this if it were not for the great price on the screen (thanks LloydChristmas ). As much as I like the new functionality, I would not have paid $2k+ for a new OEM screen from the dealer ...!!!

Oh yeah, and the finger prints/smudges do really suck. So the screen protector is the next mod on the list....
A loaner I had last month had CarPlay and touchscreen.

I used it exactly once over 3 weeks as it was so awkward to reach.

Between my 10.2” non-touch screen and a much smaller touchscreen, I’ll take the 10.2” screen any day of the week.
Appreciate 0