View Single Post
      07-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #95
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefemi View Post
I don't understand why anyone would by a 90K M car and then remove the shocks and springs that have been perfectly designed for the car to install some aftermarket stuff. I mean BMW engineers and drivers probably logged hundreds if not thousands of hours to design and test those parts to make sure the driving dynamics of the car are as perfect as it can be. Why would anyone mess with this aspect of such an expensive car for looks? The funny thing of it all is that none of the wheels with the lowered suspension look better than the stock set-up!!!
The BMW engineers did a great job but they didn't have an unlimited budget and the suspension needs to appeal to the masses. In addition regulations limit things like ride height and tire clearance. I agree with your sentiments when it comes to adding lowering springs to OEM shocks. However a quality coilover can definitely out perform OEM shocks/springs. It would not be practical for BMW to spec the m3 with adjustable coilovers considering most owners wouldn't utilize the adjustability and it would push the cost of the car even higher. Take a look at the 911 vs the 911 gt3. If the 911's suspension is "perfect" why would porsche spec the gt3 with adjustable coilovers? Why don't race cars use the "perfect" OEM suspension? There is definitely room for improvement.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0