View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #122
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
I'm just back from Targa High Country where it was snowing and very wet around the mountain on the stages.

I ran Cup 2 N1s and the difference between the wet/damp conditions and the dryer conditions was night and day.

In the wet I'd say I had to work hard to keep up with cars with all weather tires like 4S or CSC6 but that was on very winding roads. I think for those conditions tyres like the 4s are a little faster than the Cup 2s and feel much more stable.

From my experience, the Cup 2s are not bad in the wet, they are just not confidence inspiring like they are in the dry and to drive them fast in the wet on winding roads you need to warm them up a little and be very good at driving at the limit as you can feel them wriggling around on the damp or wet roads, but hit some dry patches and you can leap ahead.

I agree on the straights in the wet at speed there is really no difference in the rain and you would need a lot of standing water to make them aquaplane but in those conditions you would probably slow down anyway.

Interestingly, at Targa most of the competition cars were still running R compound tires despite the bad weather, although half a dozen or so did slide off in the corners!

IMO its worth having the Cup 2s for our climate if you are into spirited drives near the limit or even fast take offs. If it rains they are still ok but you just can't go throwing the car around like you do in the dry.
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00