04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #71
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
No offense. You may be a more advanced roller than I am. I agree.

But, What I meant was that the clunky feeling with E9x until you cross 5K RPM and then a sudden surge to a heavenly feeling when the car comes alive at higher RP is not very suitable for DD.

With the new engine; you get the intoxicating feel well in advance starting at lower RPMs in normal driving conditions . This doesn't mean you reach the full potential at low RPMs. I owned E90 M3 and I enjoyed it but Extracting joy in DD conditions that involves Downtown commute and local traffic was a challenge with that platform.
You're points are valid and I've said the same thing about the 335 vs. M3, that in daily driving, the N54 is a better engine. Having said that, I really wouldn't call it "intoxicating" when you have torque at 2,500 RPM and it pushes you into your seat- I have a lightly tuned 335 N54 too- but it is nice when you want to get going quickly while driving in slow moving traffic, or when there's a little stretch of open road on the freeway.

IMO, having an engine suddenly surge forward and wake up a 5,000 RPM when most engines start to run out of breath (and just keep pulling until 8,000 RPM), combined with the scream of a V8 at 8,200 RPM... that's INTOXICATING. We'll see how the S55 pulls up top. A 7,600 RPM is pretty good for a turbo motor, but does it really pull up top??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0