04-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #87
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taigar View Post
Hi All,

Trying to learn something here. Engine wise, seems S55 is better every way than S65 - power, fuel economy. Why then did it take so long for BMW, Merc, Audi, VW and many others to jump on the Turbo technology only now? Is it turbo engines cost more to build, shorter life span, higher maintenance.. don't seem to be from my past Evo X experience.

Thanks for sharing.
Most likely succumbing to pressures by BMW head honchos about improving fuel efficiency across the boards, including m cars

turbo cars are more efficient in that you get more hp/liter displaced.. especially when just cruising at relatively low rpm (e.g. 1.8k) turbo's really aren't in use and you are getting the fuel efficiency of a smaller displacement motor (3L vs 4L)

S65 was a marvelous engine.. i think it was just robbed of it's glory by the porky weight of the E92.. high rev motors shine in cars that are light on their feet (think rx8 and s2k).. both ridiculously fun cars to drive.. now imagine putting those motors in a car like a challenger... i think you get my point
Appreciate 0