View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #178
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus86 View Post

The new M3/M4 will turbo-charged engines that will be highly tunable, in theory at least; we'll need to see how much encryption BMW put into this new ecu. But look at what they did with the N54 engine. Baseline hp/tq was 300hp/300lb-ft. They tuned that engine for the 1M and 335is to get 320hp/330lb-ft and 370lb-ft overboost. And aftermarket tuners were able to get a consistent 400hp/420lb-ft without jeopardizing the engine or the turbos. It is not unreasonable to think that BMW provide a similarly scaled performance bump for the competition package of the M3 and M4.
Head over to m5post lol we can't even get the Speedlimiter removed state-side and I'm at the speed limiter in 4th gear of the 7 dct gears lol... Dinan had 5 software engineers working on it and they're doing a TCU[nice word for piggy] which will probably only have minor improvements over what terry did with his piggyback http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=11

iND is breaking ecus left and right, the bosche ecu's in mine and every other m5 have at least 16+bit encryptions [probably 128bit and higher]

The thing that the m4/m3 has going for it is the market size is considerably larger to make profit in vs. a brand new 100k+ luxo sedan and hopefully we'll see more companies working on it like ESS, etc. and really get this thing resolved..

Terry is almost into the 700s with just meth and base piggyback for the m5 so the power is there to be had and run safely, and personally if a piggyback and downpipes can get the m4 to like 480-510 and 450-480lbs of torque being so much lighter than the m5 I think it'll surprise a lot of crap with that dct... Its just can we get access to it, something I hope the m3/m4 tuners really figure out.

Meth numbers from terry on the m5 with piggyback no intake no exhaust

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...29&postcount=8

So in short I doubt you'll see ease of access like the N54 which allowed tuners to play with every aspect of the car and perfect it to run perfectly... All we can hope for is that either they're doing new ecus for the m3/m4 that are easier than the m5, or with the amount of money to be made via the larger user base the m3/m4 will have over the m5 it'll entice tuners to spend the money on R&D and really crack this open.

Last edited by M5Rlz; 04-15-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0