2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
While that's somewhat true, the problem (or advantage) is that there are so few manual M3/M4s that they seem to be quickly snapped up whenever available by the relatively small group of discerning manual transmission buyers out in the market.

I spoke with a salesperson at carmax who said he has a list of buyers to contact when any manual M3 or M4 comes in and they sell really quickly. I sold my manual transmission 335is and 535i to carmax and got really great prices on both.
That might be true with the older low-torque high-revving naturally-aspirated M3s, which feels more engaging wringing out with a manual but the F8x is a completely different beast in that it feels MUCH better suited with the DCT.

While the S55 is a magnificent piece of engineering, driving it with a 6MT introduces the same "rubberband" feel that's associated with a lot of turbo cars, although to a much lesser degree. The DCT equipped car hides that trait pretty much completely and it feels naturally aspirated, I don't know if it's the DCT gearing or the instant shifts but it feels way more responsive and aggressive.

Sure there will always be the die-hard manual shopper who wants to buy a car strictly for the "fun" factor, not necessarily seeking max performance. From what I've seen, the vast majority of shoppers looking at the F8x are a different type, they know the performance these cars are capable of and that's what they want first and foremost. Every customer I have dealt with inquiring about the F8x wanted a DCT btw... Source: I'm a Senior Consultant for CarMax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
While that's somewhat true, the problem (or advantage) is that there are so few manual M3/M4s that they seem to be quickly snapped up whenever available by the relatively small group of discerning manual transmission buyers out in the market.

I spoke with a salesperson at carmax who said he has a list of buyers to contact when any manual M3 or M4 comes in and they sell really quickly. I sold my manual transmission 335is and 535i to carmax and got really great prices on both.
That might be true with the older low-torque high-revving naturally-aspirated M3s, which feels more engaging wringing out with a manual but the F8x is a completely different beast in that it feels MUCH better suited with the DCT.

While the S55 is a magnificent piece of engineering, driving it with a 6MT introduces the same "rubberband" feel that's associated with a lot of turbo cars, although to a much lesser degree. The DCT equipped car hides that trait pretty much completely and it feels naturally aspirated, I don't know if it's the DCT gearing or the instant shifts but it feels way more responsive and aggressive.

Sure there will always be the die-hard manual shopper who wants to buy a car strictly for the "fun" factor, not necessarily seeking max performance. From what I've seen, the vast majority of shoppers looking at the F8x are a different type, they know the performance these cars are capable of and that's what they want first and foremost. Every customer I have dealt with inquiring about the F8x wanted a DCT btw... Source: I'm a Senior Consultant for CarMax.
No one asks for an Automatic M3.

You ask for a 6 speed Manual.

I agree with performance aspect of DCT.
I test drove One.

Anyone age of 10 years of age who can see over the dash and reach the pedals with 3 minutes of driving instruction can drive auto M3 in minutes.

Wait if they can reach the pedals

Wait if they can start the car they can drive it with DCT
Appreciate 0