12-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #121
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post

I have seen videos demonstrating how loud the car is when starting from cold. Is it really that obnoxious that would drive you to hate the car?
I live in FL so maybe truly cold weather makes a difference, but I really struggle with this complaint. I think it sounds fine when starting, including in a garage, and can't understand why the sound of starting it would impact what someone thinks of driving it. Easy enough to see for yourself at a dealership or at a local meet.

Quote:
I assume the suspension is stiffer given than it is more of a sports car. However, is the ride really that much harsher than the 3 Series?
I had an Audi S4 (not a 3 series) before my M4 and it is definitely firmer but far from bone-jarring, particularly in comfort. Again, I am in FL so I don't have the same horrible roads as those in other parts of the country. When I come across a really bad road, it can be rough in my M4, my previous S4 or any other car with sport-oriented suspension. As others stated if the suspension wasn't stiff there would be complaints about body roll and the effect of the stiff suspension depends on the road you are on.

Quote:
The article also mentions a lot of annoying noises with the car that they have taken it to the dealer several times to rectify, and still are not satisfied.
Personally I have been fortunate to not experience these noises. Perhaps because roads are better where I live. There is a fair amount of road noise (which varies by road surface) but not enough that it interferes with a phone call via Bluetooth.

Quote:
They make it sound like the M3 is an overpriced piece of junk. Even the comments at the bottom of the article seem to agree.
In August 2014 the same magazine selected the M4 over a 911 in a comparison test. Without implying I agree with that conclusion, my observation is these magazines are often inconsistent with their reviews and commentaries. Comments from internet trolls below the article are mostly from people that have never driven the car, much less owned one, and generally should be disregarded. Basing a judgment about a car from a magazine review or comments on a review is no substitute for driving it yourself.

Quote:
What are people experiences of the M3 as a daily driver compared to the 3 series?
The M3 will be louder and will have a stiffer ride because it delivers a different driving experience. That is normal and should be expected. (A 911 is louder and stiffer than a Lexus too.). Focusing on those attributes in isolation isn't a fair comparison - it is the total driving experience that needs to be weighed. If you are very sensitive to stiffness and noise and live in a place with bad roads, anything more performance-/sports-oriented may not be the best choice. I think you should take a long test drive and then get in your 3-series immediately after that to compare for yourself.