View Single Post
      07-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Some of the replies in this thread are ridiculous. OP, don't go crazy you're not running DTM:

1. You absolutely do not need to flush your fluids before every track day, that's ridiculous. HPDE isn't F1 racing.
a. You should flush your brake fluid only if it has boiled otherwise, it's completely unnecessary. It's a simple hydraulic system and you're not doing yourself any favors by flushing it every single time.
b. You should flush your oil every couple of track days, depending on which oil you run, as preventative maintenance. Do it earlier if your engine is still young/low-mileage. People, including myself, have sent their oil to labs after multiple track days and lets just say that you're blatantly wasting your money if you're flushing it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I try to do it around 3-5 track days and I top off whatever oil I burn in between.

2. You should run your first event with your stock tires and pads so that you can determine what you need YOURSELF. I've ran track days with my super sports/stock pads and while they weren't amazing, they were ABSOLUTELY FINE for the entire event.

3. Your main costs will be tires + track fees + gasoline.
a. If you're running stock alignment, you'll be spending quite a bit more on tires than others due to premature wear on the outside shoulders of your front tires.
b. Get a tire gauge and keep your tire pressures ~36 or under with most tires. You'll need to check them after every session as they will get extremely hot and the ideal gas law exists. If you set them higher than 36, you'll get a bit less shoulder wear but on a hot day, most tires will chunk up really badly.

4. You can rent a helmet on your first day with almost every organization but you should probably buy one because no matter how well they clean them, they're disgusting.

5. Get a set of driving gloves.

6. Get some simple track data logging setup going so that you can review and learn what you were doing right/wrong.

-

Your stock car is absolutely safe. Go enjoy a track day. You won't be in any danger.
Appreciate 6