View Single Post
      01-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Changing the plugs is SUPER easy, so are the brakes and oil change , I just did this 2 weeks ago.

I would do it myself because:

- I hate other people touching my car (even the dealer), they don't care about your car.
- they will use the oem bosch plugs which are not as good as NGKs (car idles smoother, I read about issues with the bosch cracking), if you plan on tuning you will want ngks.
- they will use the OEM brake pads which are great at stopping but cover your wheels in brake dust after 10 mins of driving, akibono pads are amazing, zero dust and stop almost as good as oem. When I took my wheels off to change the pads I took the opportunity to claybar, polish, seal and wax the wheel barrels.
- save a few hundred bucks
- get to spend some quality time with your car and get to know it better
- feel proud

If you are just terrible at DIY then maybe it might be worth it. If you do decide to do it yourself here are a few tips:

- Buy from FCP Euro, they have a lifetime guarantee on all parts, so if you still have the car, your next set of plugs and brakes will be free.
- get a low jack and some jack stands if you don't already have them
- get at least one BMW jack adapter
- get a long 17mm socket to remove lugs
- get the thin wall spark plug tool (BMS is magnetic and great)
- consider changing the charge pipes to aluminum ones while you are at it, the plastic ones tend to break.

You can easily do this yourself by watching the videos and taking it slow, or get a 6 pack and call a friend over to help.
Appreciate 0