Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Got to spend about 3 hours with the new 718/718S yesterday. The car overall was spectacular. It has the sport exhaust and I thought it sounded great. Low RPMs it had that wrx'ness, but as you went up the rev range, it sounded great. I liked it better than the m3/4 in terms of sound. It's not as appealing as the NA 6, but that can be said of any turbo vs NA. The steering was great. Porsche still cannot be touched for electric steering. It was perfectly weighted and scalpel precise. The car did move! The S has no noticeable lag. I think if you look at the tech in the S and especially the 911s there isn't a more tech savvy turbo motor on the market. I think the 718S is probably as fast as the 991 base, or damn close.
The handling was sublime. It was so confidence inspiring, and just encouraged you to push it more and more. This was typical boxster handling except just turned up another notch. Felt very GT like in how it went about its performance. Can only imagine how the new GTS and GT4 are going to be.
I'm not looking for a roadster but this car left me grinning. There's something about a technically and emotionally fun roadster that a coupe doesn't give you. Overall, under 100k (and probably a bit over) this is STILL THE roadster to have.
Ouch, did the car you test drove have the sport exhaust? and have you heard an m3/4 w/modified exhaust? if so how would that compare?