12-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #193
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
I think everyone is forgetting the fact that Ford is targeting the M3's handling, which is a direct admission that the M3 is a superior handling car with a better overall feel. For Ford to come right out and say this is huge compliment to BMW. For those who say the Mustang GT is just as good of handling car, citing the MT article with Randy Pobst, sure a pro race driver can extract everything out of a car and overcome inherent weaknesses but an amateur driver, different story. As an extreme example of driver skill overcoming a car's weaknesses, look at Sabine Schmitz driving a hauling van on the Nurburgring and nearly matching Jeremy Clarkson's time in a Jag S-type

Also, its the entire package that matters. The M3 was winning comparos versus Porsche 911 turbos and GTRs at the time, not because it was faster, but because of the entire package and how it worked together and made for an unbeatable experience. Several journalists and race drivers billed it as one of the best all around cars in the world and was probably winning 95% of every comparison test, of which subjective measures on driving experience were a component in addition to performance. Obviously, competition catches up, but would be hard pressed to believe the Mustang GT really gets those sorts of accolades at that price point. It's not like there is going to be so much content in the Mustang GT that Ford isn't making money off them, so you do get what you pay for to a certain degree.
If you saw the GT vs M3 vid, Pobst won in the M3 by a hair. They said they believed that the average driver would win in the GT, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
One of the problems with the Mustang has been weak brakes. US publications do single lap timings with cooling breaks. In a real race the BMW would win.
lol wut? The track pack with Brembo brakes are weak brakes? I think you got your cars mixed up. The M3's brakes are garbage, and I own one and have tracked it numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Funny to see people that drive the "ultimate driving machine" comparing interiors.

I wouldn't drive a BMW if I gave a sh*t about interiors. BMW interiors are nothing special, there are much better interiors coming out of Germany.

Fact is the new Mustang GT will match M4 performance specs, maybe exceed it. For a price tag near $30k. Now that it has a proper suspension, haters only have one last thing to hold on too.
This is true. The e9x generation is fugly, for the most part. I've had a 2006 325i, 2007 335i, and a 2011 M3. While the M3's interior is miles better than the old 325i/335i I had, it is still pretty barren and meh.
Appreciate 0