View Single Post
      11-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
Whatever you do, don't get performance snow tires. Might as well get all seasons.

Stick to Blizzak or another snow/ice tire that is truly rated for deep snow and ice (to be on the safe side).
Thanks. It seems that there are a number of different "Blizzaks" - LM32 (now discontinued), LM001 (replaced the LM32, I think), the WS80 (full studless ice/snow tire), perhaps others. TireRack and others refer to the winter tires as either "performance winter/snow" or "studless ice/snow" (not considering "stud-able ice/snow"). Perhaps wishful thinking, but I'm hoping/expecting that we will continue to have milder winters, so I'm thinking dry/clear road performance will be more important than snow carving. Absent another 2014-2015 record snow winter, I'm thinking I'll be OK with "performance winter" tires, such as the LM001, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, Pirelli Sottozero, etc. If it gets really bad, I can just mooch off rides in the wife's GL450.

I have shopped all around and looked at a bunch of aftermarket brand wheels. It's now down to: Apex EC-7s in 19x9.5 square ET22 vs. buying a used/take-off set of OEM 18" 513M wheels (18x9 and 18x10). Both are "pretty", and look "right" on the car. The Apex's (new, without a deal) will run $1276 at list price (+ shipping), versus $1400-1600+ for a set of 513Ms (can pick up, so no shipping cost). It seems like the Apex's will hold their value, judging by what I've seen on the forums, so that's probably a push. I suspect the 513Ms are "stronger" (full forged vs. flow formed), but I'm leery of running a 10" wide rear on a winter setup that may see 'some' snow or ice on the ground, at some point.

Maybe the right strategy is to just wait for black Friday and hope for a non-group buy discount on the Apex's?
Appreciate 0